Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Civility

So for the past few days I've been absolutely appalled by what's going on in North Carolina. You may have read about it on Politico -- when an older woman from NC asked Obama about the North American Union. If you're in the state, you may have seen the story on News 14 Carolina about how visitors to an Obama rally had their tires slashed in the parking lot. This link summarizes most of what's happened in the state the past few days. (It is a liberal-leaning blog, but it beats me posting 6 different links.)

If you've read my Facebook news feed for the past few days, you've come to realize just how shocked and disgusted I am by this behavior. It's juvenile and coming from adults. Maybe it's just from having family concentrated in Orange County and touristy-Carteret County (both of which have Dem Congressmen I think), but I can't believe North Carolina has failed to move beyond the old South race relations. I mean, for crying out loud, I didn't learn about the klan until I moved to Tennessee in 1993 -- it wasn't active in this state, but now it seems like it is.

I think both Joe and I can agree that this behavior is beyond the pale. I think we can both cite ourselves as examples of how you can be civil and disagree. We debate and discuss in words, and are mature enough to agree to disagree. I'm not going to go out and slash Joe's tires for liking McCain, and he's not going to leave a dead bear in my driveway and throw my Obama-Biden car magnet on top of it.

No comments: